Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July weekend

It was a nice looong weekend. And much needed. I made sure it was a jam-packed one as well.  I started off my weekend by heading to the cute new fabric store, Fabric Bliss, on Friday after work. I had gotten a 30% off coupon in my email... and decided to splurge a little.  So, what did I do with my Friday night? Go out with friends? No. Snuggle in with my man? No. Creating a cute, new, reversible purse? Yes. Yes I did.


 I love the fabrics and couldn't choose between them. So, why choose? Now I can just turn the purse inside out whenever I want to switch. Hooray! I also decided that I would try my hand at putting in zippers. I made a little clutch with a zipper for Claire before she left. Sorry you had to get the bozo zipper clutch, Claire!


cute new clutch! Really, more of a make-up bag, but still....
Saturday, Mom and I took a jewelry making class. It was her Mother's Day gift... learn how to make a Celtic pierced pendant. Interesting...? 
sawing through the silver

Mom and I post class - wearing our jewelry!

my Celtic knot pendant - made by me!
It was a great class, and a lot of fun! I don't think I will be taking up jewelry making anytime soon, but it was great to learn how!
Saturday evening, Jay and I started our all-American eating fest. BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, potatoes and WATERMELON. We literally ate our weight in watermelon. Its officially summertime!!!
Sunday, we relaxed and lazed around for the first part of the day. It was HOT out... so instead we stayed in the coolness and worked on a puzzle. Random. I know. But apparently (after nearly 2 years of dating) Jay and I realized that we both love puzzles! So we ran out to the store last weekend and bought one. We finished it together... except for one cursed piece! Apparently we lost it. Or it was never there. Either way, I felt that it was mocking me.
can you find where the missing piece goes?
Sunday evening Jay and I headed back to my place, downtown. We planned to check out the fireworks down at Civic Center park (a quick walk from my place) so we headed down early. Mostly so I could put Jay's big muscles to work putting in my window A/C. Its too hot without it! Once the A/C was in, we headed out for dinner... and fireworks! The park itself was packed with people.  We found a spot on the hill of the capital. The Colorado Symphony Orchestra played (it was lovely) and the fireworks started around 9:30. And ended around 9:40. DISAPPOINTING!
Jay and I pre-fireworks

fireworks!
Luckily, Monday we had BBQ and fireworks plans. Otherwise this would have been one unhappy American girl. You can't have 10 minutes of fireworks. Its un-American. Or something. So, Monday evening we headed out to Arvada. Food on the grill, munchies, fruit, juice, beer, oh my!! Jay entertained himself by jumping on the kid's trampoline.
But luckily, after stuffing ourselves with food, we didn't have long to wait for dark. Dark = fireworks!
When I was a kid, the oncoming darkness also meant sparklers. But apparently the dryness of Colorado has created a new trend. Glowsticks. Cool, but totally not the same.

Shortly after the glowsticks, glow bracelets and glow necklaces we hunkered down in the grass to watch the fireworks. This time, they did not disappoint.



Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment